A LOOK BACK AT THE 2022 PROJECT RESULTS
COUNTRY OF THE MONTH : CÔTE D’IVOIRE
In this issue, we focus on Côte d’Ivoire! Mr. Romain Ouattara, coordinator of the mutual evaluation currently conducted by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in this country, talks about the evolution of the Ivorian AML/CFT criminal chain over the last few years and presents the support provided by OCWAR-M.
FEATURED: INVESTIGATING FINANCIAL CRIME, CRYPTO-CURRENCIES AND THE DARKWEB
On 1 February 2023, OCWAR-M concluded its third training on financial investigations, crypto-currencies and the DarkWeb. Jointly organised with OCWAR-C and GLACY+, it was held at the Senegalese National Cybersecurity School with a regional vocation (ENVR).
The apparent anonymity conferred by the DarkWeb and crypto-currencies has led many criminals to use them to commit their offences; illicit activities thus flourish on the DarkWeb, where the majority of transactions are carried out with these currencies. Crypto-currencies are also prized by criminals because of their reliability and the irreversibility of transactions. To effectively combat financial and cyber crimes, it is now essential to have a good grasp of these issues.
OCWAR-M and OCWAR-C partners, aware of this need, had expressed their desire to be trained on this topic. This led these projects to develop, in partnership with GLACY+, a training course with a simple objective: enable investigators to “follow the money” of transactions carried out by criminals in crypto-currencies, particularly on the DarkWeb.
EXPERT’S PORTRAIT: JIMMY KANDE
In this issue, we feature a portrait of Jimmy Kande, West and Francophone Africa Director of the Platform to Protect Whistleblowers in Africa (PPLAAF). In this interview, he tells us about his background and presents his organization and the partnership it developed with OCWAR-M.
- Combatting Financial Crime In The Metaverse (Mondaq, 08/02/2023)
- Togo-Kimelabalou Aba remplace Wiyao Essohana à la tête de la HAPLUCIA (Le Correcteur via Ici Lomé, 10/02/2023)
- FATF puts South Africa, Nigeria on ‘grey list’ (Money Control, 25/02/2023)
- Blanchiment de capitaux et financement du terrorisme : l’Afrique du Sud et le Nigeria sur la liste grise du GAFI (Agence Ecofin, 28/02/2023)
- Angola wants to create an investment fund to manage recovered embezzled assets (Ecofin Agency, 08/03/2023)
L’ANSSFD sensibilise les SFD pour un dispositif de LBC/FT (24h au Bénin, 09/03/2023)
- Jeux de hasard au Bénin: Une plateforme de contrôle mise en place par le gouvernement (La Nouvelle Tribune, 15/03/2023)
- Outcomes FATF Plenary, 22-24 February 2023 (FATF, 24/02/2023)
- Guidance on Beneficial Ownership of Legal Persons (FATF, 10/03/2023)